The Eurac Research Institute for Biomedicine is looking for a highly motivated expert in ethical, legal and social aspect of biomedical research to join our international team in Bolzano, Italy. The expert will work within the CHRIS-2D project, which has recently been funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
The CHRIS-2D project will be implemented within the Cooperative Health Research in South Tyrol (CHRIS) study, one of the largest longitudinal population-based studies in Italy, which investigates the health of >13,000 participants through a large set of clinical, genetic, and molecular data. By setting up a data portal that provides navigation through CHRIS data and samples in a secure and controlled way that protects participant's rights, the CHRIS-2D project aims at enhancing the quality, integration and usability of the datasets, boosting the potential for innovative scientific research and exploitation of the study.
The successful candidate will work on ethical and legal issues with special attention at the social implications (ELSI) of the data portal and engage with the local community. The candidate needs to be experienced in empirical methods (qualitative and possibly quantitative). Experience with discrete choice experiments will be a plus. The work will be performed within a team of high-profile ELSI experts. She/he will contribute to the ethical and legal framework ensuring the balance between the promotion of broad data sharing, the need to safeguard participant's rights and the community preferences and specific needs.
- Support in building the ELSI framework for the data portal
- Perform qualitative/quantitative fieldwork to ascertain the community perceptions and preferences for the portal
- Assist in collecting information, creating written content, editing texts for the policies
- PhD degree or equivalent experience in law, social sciences, philosophy, or bioethics
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative empirical research methods
- Interest in ethical, legal and social implication of biomedical research
- Very good knowledge of German is preferred and English required, both orally and written
- Very good organizational skills and strong ability to work independently
- A strong team-player willing to lend help to ad-hoc tasks at short notice
- Experience in project management is an advantage
- Two-year full-time position
- A vibrant and collaborative work environment in an interdisciplinary team of software developers and computer scientists, bioinformaticians and biostatisticians, data curators and data analysts, genetic epidemiologists, and ethical and legal experts
- Opportunity to work at the intersection of ethical, legal and social concerns and the progress of research in the biomedical field
- An employer that is consistently rated among the best work places in Italy
- Attractive living conditions and a high quality of life, right at the heart of one of the most exciting mountain regions in the World
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application (CV, cover letter and further relevant documents) by 24.01.2021 to the following address firstname.lastname@example.org stating "ELSI Expert CHRIS-2D" and their name as subject:
Institute for Biomedicine
Via Galvani 31 – 39100 Bolzano
Email: email@example.com -- www.eurac.edu
Tel: +39 0471 055 500 / Fax: + 39 0471 055 599
For further information please contact Hagen Blankenburg: firstname.lastname@example.org
The CHRIS-2D project is funded by the European Regional Development Fund, program „EFRE 2014-2020", project ID FESR1157. CUP: D54I20001390008.
Please add the following consent if it is of interest to you: "I hereby explicitly authorize Eurac Research to store my personal data for the purpose of being contacted for potential future job openings".