Eurac Research is looking for a
Master Student in Computational Metabolomics
The position is open to students attending Masters of Science in Biotechnology, Biology or related disciplines in the biomedicine field, who want to perform 12 months experimental thesis work.
The position is also open for post lauream students with a master’s degree in science (biology, biotechnology or related fields) for a period of 10 months (graduated not more than 12 months before the start of the internship).
The Institute for Biomedicine at Eurac Research is conducting research in the fields of biomedicine, with a focus on neurodegeneration and cardiovascular medicine, integrating genetics and epidemiology data with functional characterization of disease mechanisms.
Part of the focus of the “Biology of Cardiac Health and Disease” Group is Arrhythmogenic Cardiomyopathy (ACM), an inherited cardiac disease leading to sudden cardiac death. To gain insight into the cellular and molecular mechanisms of ACM we have generated metabolomics data sets (both targeted and untargeted) on different biological samples, namely plasma and cardiac cells lysates/supernatants from patients. Aim of the project is to process the (already available) metabolomics data and to identify metabolites with different abundances between patients and controls.
The Groups of Biology of Cardiac Health and Disease and of Computational Metabolomics are offering one joint Master student position for a one-year project at the Institute for Biomedicine. An internship compensation is foreseen. The internship period will start as soon as possible.
· Use state of the art tools data analysis tools (R, Rstudio/rmarkdown, github) ensuring reproducible research.
· Perform the pre-processing of the metabolomics data set (peak detection, alignment, normalization).
· Identify compounds with significantly different abundances between the ACM and control samples.
· Experience in the use of the R statistical programming language is an advantage.
· Previous experience in large scale data analysis or programming will be an advantage.
· Good knowledge of English language.
· Knowledge of either German or Italian language is an advantage
· Applicants should have a contact Professor within their University that could support the practical training for the master’s degree studies at the Center as an external site.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application (CV, cover letter and further relevant documents) within 31.03.2019 via Email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating “Student in Computational Metabolomics” as subject:
Institute for Biomedicine
Via Galvani 31 – 39100 Bolzano
Email: email@example.com - www.eurac.edu
Tel: +39 0471 055 500 / Fax: + 39 0471 055 599
Candidates are advised to apply as early as possible as the selection and interview process will commence immediately and will end as soon has the right candidate has been found.
For further information please contact Johannes Rainer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Alessandra Rossini (email@example.com)
Please add the following consent if it is of interest to you: “I hereby explicitly authorize Eurac Research to store my personal data for the purpose of being contacted for potential future job openings”.