We are looking for a Post-Doctoral researcher with a strong background in computational and statistical skills and with consolidated experience in human population genetic studies. The candidate should have expertise in the analysis of human genomic data from ancient and modern samples. The project will apply in-depth genomic analyses to the reconstruction of human populations history.
We offer a 2-year postdoctoral position at the Eurac Research - Institute for Mummy Studies in Bolzano, Italy. The position is available from January 2021.
Our Institute is internationally renowned for its research on the Tyrolean Iceman and other mummified and skeletal human remains of different periods from all over the world.
We want to characterize the genomic diversity of prehistoric individuals (from Neolithic to the Middle Bronze Age with a focus on the Copper age) from the Iceman´s territory (eastern Italian Alps). Comparison with existing genomic data from ancient and present-day individuals from Europe and the Middle east will make it possible to obtain a more comprehensive picture of the genomic variation of prehistoric Europe, as well as gaining an insight into the Neolithic migration waves from Anatolia to south Europe and eastern Alps.
Fine-scaled genomic analysis of the prehistoric individuals on a micro-regional scale (Trentino Alto Adige region) and comparison with local archaeological data will allow to explore the presence of a so-called “Alpine cultural group” during the Copper Age as suggested by archeologists.
• To perform the bioinformatic analyses of the genomic data produced during the project
• To construct comparative genomic datasets (from ancient and present-day populations)
• To make the statistical analyses of the genomic data, including classical population genetic analyses, simulations to test different hypotheses on demographic scenarios and, application of fine-scaled analytical methods.
• To interpret and summarize the results in peer-reviewed publications
• PhD degree in population genetics, statistical genomics, bioinformatics or related fields
• Solid background in computational and statistical skills with expertise in genomic analyses of data from ancient and modern samples
• Proficiency in spoken and written English
• Ability to work in a team and in an interdisciplinary environment
We offer two-years full-time Postdoc position, starting from January 2021 on. The candidate will have the opportunity to work in a stimulating multidisciplinary team composed by researchers from different fields and countries and, moreover, to collaborate with scientists from other national (University of Trento) and international (Uppsala University) institutions.
EURAC is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application (CV, including a brief description of main research interests; motivation letter; contacts of references; publications list) by 31.10.2020 to the following address:
Please mention in your E-mail the subject: Postdoc, PrehistoricAlps
Institute for Mummy Studies
Viale Druso 1 – 39100 Bolzano
Tel: +39 0471 055 560 / Fax: + 39 0471 055 579
For further information please contact Valentina Coia: Tel: +39 0471 055 562
Project: “Genomic diversity of prehistoric individuals from the Iceman’s territory in the Eastern Italian Alps”,
Research Südtirol/Alto Adige 2019
Please add the following consent if it is of interest to you: “I hereby explicitly authorize Eurac Research to store my personal data for the purpose of being contacted for potential future job openings”.