The Institute for Renewable energy of Eurac Research is involved in a range of research projects dealing with the design and control of innovative heating and cooling systems for multifamily residential buildings, exploiting a combination of compression heat pumps and solar thermal and/or PV panels.
The storage capacity associated with centralised thermal and electric storages and small thermal storage tanks installed in individual dwellings can be exploited in order to optimise renewables self-consumption and minimize the energy drawn from the electric grid. Acting in advance of the expected energy demand and based on forecast of operating conditions, load balancing can be constantly guaranteed, together with low energy consumption and distribution losses. To this end, control strategies based on predictive methods and adaptation to constantly changing operating conditions will be developed.
The researcher will contribute to designing innovative heating and cooling systems through simulation models and to developing advanced control algorithms for their smart management. Simulations will be run to elaborate and countercheck the controllers' performance.
This work will be part of the H2020-Cultural-E project coordinated by Eurac Research and will be carried out in close collaboration with the senior researcher responsible for its development.
It is expected that the candidate will:
- Develop numerical models in TRNSYS and run simulations of heating and cooling systems for multifamily houses, devoted to the optimal integration and sizing of the single components
- develop and implement smart control algorithms in Python
- PhD degree in engineering or physics or equivalent title;
- Consolidated knowledge in heating and cooling systems for residential buildings;
- Consolidated knowledge in control theory;
- Knowledge in TRNSYS programming language;
- Basic Knowledge in Python programming language;
- Excellent written and spoken English skills; knowledge of either Italian or German (both is a plus);
- Knowledge in oral and written English;
- The opportunity to work on an innovative topic, in collaboration with innovative companies, contributing to the development of advanced systems and products delivering sustainable heating and cooling to multifamily houses;
- The opportunity to work in a young international team in a fast-growing sector;
- Working conditions which allow professional growth and know-how acquisition with career opportunity as applied researcher;
- A surrounding offering a high quality of life;
- The position is initially offered for a period of three years with the concrete possibility to be extended towards a permanent contract.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application (CV, cover letter and further relevant documents) by 30.01.2020 to the following address:
Institute for Renewable Energy
Viale Druso 1 – 39100 Bolzano
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - www.eurac.edu
Tel: +39 0471 055 600 / Fax: + 39 0471 055 699
For further information please contact Roberto Fedrizzi: Tel: +39 0471 055 610
Please add the following consent if it is of interest to you: "I hereby explicitly authorize Eurac Research to store my personal data for the purpose of being contacted for potential future job openings".