The growing penetration of renewable energy sources (primarily photovoltaic) and variable loads introduces new challenges in the management of the electricity grid in order to guarantee security of supply and efficiency. In this regard, it is necessary to analyze the grid behavior through detailed power flow analysis as a function of the variability and penetration of renewable energy sources, but also electric vehicles, storage units, and flexibility in general, and also to propose solutions or countermeasures to mitigate the impact. In this regard, the development of advanced monitoring, ancillary services and control techniques (such as the use of batteries, smart inverters, real-time measurements, forecasting of demand and / or generation profiles, ...) become necessary in order to make the grid smart ensuring reliability and flexibility.
It is in this context that the Photovoltaic Energy Systems group is looking for a Researcher in the field of renewable energy integration in smart grids.
- Static and dynamic simulations of electricity grids to assess the impact of the integration of flexible loads and / or renewable sources (PV, EV, BESS) on system operation.
- Control algorithms for grid optimization in the presence of renewables or electric vehicles.
- Development of experimental setups to support and validate simulated models using the infrastructure present in the outdoor lab.
- Real-time simulations of power systems possibly with hardware-in-the-loop setups.
- Contribution in writing scientific publications and technical reports.
- Master's degree in Electrical / Electronic / Energy / Mechatronics Engineering or similar.
- Knowledge of electrical grid modeling and power flow analysis.
- Basic knowledge of equipment and instrumentation for electrical systems and power electronics.
- Experience in real-time systems or real-time simulations (preferable requirement).
- Good programming skills (e.g. Python, Matlab / Simulink, R, ...).
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Ability to work both in team and independently.
- Proactive attitude.
- The chance to work with local and international research centers and industry partner.
- The opportunity to work in a young international team in a fast growing sector.
- Working conditions which allow professional growth and know how acquisition with carrier opportunity as applied researcher.
- The Institute for Renewable Energy of Eurac Research is located at the NOI Techpark:
The position is initially available for a period of one year with the concrete possibility to be extended for further 2 years.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application (CV, cover letter and further relevant documents) by 17.07.2020 to the following address:
Institute for Renewable Energy
Viale Druso 1 – 39100 Bolzano
Email: email@example.com- www.eurac.edu
Tel: +39 0471 055 600 / Fax: + 39 0471 055 699
For further information please contact David Moser : Tel: +39 0471 055 627
Placeholder for further comments/specifications:
i.e. Progetto FP7 di riferimento: XYZ (CUP: D41J11000440007, Ref.n.:10-3-3-SI);
Please add the following consent if it is of interest to you: "I hereby explicitly authorize Eurac Research to store my personal data for the purpose of being contacted for potential future job openings".