Eurac Research is looking for a
Researcher within the field of meteorology and climatology
Eurac Research is an interdisciplinary research centre located in Bolzano, Italy. At the Institute for Earth Observation (EO) we do research on monitoring of environmental parameter and processes with EO and climate data in mountain regions. The person we are looking for would be responsible for various climate related projects, such as the interpolation of meteorological data, assisting in the calculation of a meteorological drought index within a project on drought monitoring, downscaling climate information, and other projects with a demand for climate indices.
· Implementation of a spatial interpolation technique for meteorological data (temperature, precipitation, and radiation) using proven methods and possibly already available libraries or packages. The region of interest is South Tyrol and Trentino in the Alps, so special care must be taken concerning the orography.
· Implementing the input of meteorology into the drought index calculation. Validation of the method: quantifying errors and uncertainty a) within the interpolation alone and b) cascading effects in the drought index calculation.
· Assisting in the operationalization of the interpolation technique using the open-data platforms of the meteorological offices in South Tyrol and Trentino.
· Assisting in the calculation of climate indices, as well as in the downscaling and bias correction of climate data and climate scenarios in other running and upcoming projects of Eurac Research. Consolidating the existing workflows and implementing an efficient reusability/reproducibility.
· Writing project reports and documentations on methodology and results for the respective projects
· Degree in Meteorology, Climatology, Geography, Statistics, or similar
· Experience with the fundamental principles of meteorology, climatology and spatial interpolation, preferably in mountain areas
· Strong computational background and knowledge of at least one data analysis software (R, python, …)
· Very good English (spoken and written). German or Italian skills are appreciated
· Team working, good communication
· Experience working with a Linux environment and command-line (shell)
· Data analysis and visualization skills for spatial and temporal data
· A one-year employee contract
· An interesting, highly responsible job in a young international and interdisciplinary team
· The opportunity for further qualification
· State-of-the-art technical facilities (soft- and hardware, communication tools)
· Access to EURAC’s numerous scientific and cultural facilities and events
· An attractive working place in a vivid city in the heart of the Alps with endless opportunities for skiing, hiking, climbing
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their online application (CV, cover letter and further relevant documents) within 08.02.2019 to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Institute for Earth Observation
Viale Druso 1 – 39100 Bolzano
Email: email@example.com - www.eurac.edu
Tel: +39 0471 055 370 / Fax: + 39 0471 055 389
For further information please contact Paola Winkler: Tel: +39 0471 055 370
Please add the following consent if it is of interest to you: “I hereby explicitly authorize Eurac Research to store my personal data for the purpose of being contacted for potential future job openings”.