Eurac Research's Center for Sensing Solutions is a competence center that supports researchers, the South Tyrolean scientific network and the business sector. It provides technological infrastructure (a Big Data Analytics Platform and a sensor laboratory) that can manage the entire data lifecycle and thus facilitate the process of digital transformation in several areas: environmental monitoring, intelligent agriculture, studies on the performance of materials and textiles and web atlases for sharing geographical data.
The Center for Sensing Solutions therefore:
- simplifies the work of researchers in the organization, research and analysis of data
- transfers research results in order to promote collaboration between researchers and business
The Center for Sensing Solutions manages a sensor laboratory where researchers and technicians develop tools and integrated solutions for the collection of information on the environment, cities, buildings and materials, and in different environments with poor connectivity. The information collected is stored and managed through a cutting-edge technological platform, mainly based on open source systems, making the information available to scientific communities and local and international companies. Finally, the Center for Sensing Solutions develops solutions - such as web applications, IoT services, decision support systems - to optimize research results and business processes.
Through multidisciplinary projects, the Center for Sensing Solutions brings together the expertise of the various research institutes of Eurac Research.
The main activities of the Center for Sensing Solutions are:
- data acquisition through different types of platforms: distributed networks of sensors, UAV platforms and remote sensing
- characterization of sensors
- prototype development of integrated IoT solutions based on microcontrollers
- big-dataset organization
- development of web applications for data analysis
- data sharing according to international standards
- metadata service
The Center for Sensing Solutions also manages the infrastructure for the Sentinel Alpine Observatory and the Eurac Research reception station located on the top of the Renon Horn.