Senior Researcher in the field of design, control and monitoring of sustainable heating and cooling systems
The Institute for Renewable Energy at Eurac Research is involved in a range of research projects dealing with the design, control and monitoring of innovative heating and cooling systems for multifamily and tertiary buildings, exploiting a combination of compression heat pumps and solar thermal and/or PV panels.
The storage capacity associated with centralized thermal and electric storages and small thermal storage tanks installed in individual dwellings can be exploited to optimize renewables self-consumption and minimize the energy drawn from the electric grid. Acting in advance of the expected energy demand and based on forecast of operating conditions, loads balancing can be constantly guaranteed, together with low energy consumption and distribution losses.
To this end, optimal planning, monitoring and controlling heat pump systems aimed to exploit thermal and electric storage capacity is of utmost relevance as a means to guarantee system flexibility and to support the effective operation of next generation electric grids and energy communities. At the same time, easy to install and affordable systems are needed to facilitate the mass roll out of these solutions on the market.
It is expected that the candidate will: * Design and manage energy flexible, cost-effective HVAC solutions for buildings * Contribute to elaborate numerical models of HVAC solutions for buildings devoted to the optimal integration, sizing and control * Develop monitoring and control strategies and contribute to the elaboration of smart control algorithms * Assess technical and economic benefits associated with the solutions developed * Collaborate with industrial partners in product development * Support the acquisition and management of research projects * Supervise researchers, master and PhD students * Write scientific publications and project reports
- PhD with a focus on design and management of HVAC systems, or equivalent experience (also gained in the industrial sector)
- Previous work experience with design, management and monitoring of HVAC systems is a significant advantage
- Previous experience with peer-reviewed papers writing and project proposals preparation
- Previous experience with students/personnel supervision is highly desirable
- Basic experience with Python and TRNSYS is highly desirable
- Proactive, independent approach to objectives set and attitude to positive interaction in a team
- Good knowledge of English, written and spoken; Italian and/or German are desirable, but not essential.
- The opportunity to work on an innovative topic, in collaboration with innovative companies, contributing to the development of advanced products, delivering sustainable heating and cooling to residential and tertiary buildings;
- The opportunity to work in a young international team in a fast-growing sector;
- Working conditions which allow professional growth and know-how acquisition with career opportunity as applied researcher;
- A surrounding offering a high quality of life;
- The position is initially offered for a period of three years with the concrete possibility to be extended towards a permanent contract.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application (CV, cover letter and further relevant documents) by 30.08.2021 to the following address:
Eurac Research Institute for Renewable Energy Viale Druso 1 – 39100 Bolzano Email: firstname.lastname@example.org- www.eurac.edu Tel: +39 0471 055 600 / Fax: + 39 0471 055 699
For further information please contact Roberto Fedrizzi: Tel: +39 0471 055 610
Please add the following consent if it is of interest to you: “I hereby explicitly authorize Eurac Research to store my personal data for the purpose of being contacted for potential future job openings”.