The Eurac Research Institute for Biomedicine is looking for a highly motivated junior researcher in social aspects of biomedical research to join our international team in Bolzano, Italy. The researcher will work within the CHRIS-2D project, which has recently been funded by the European Regional Development Fund. As most of the study population speaks German, mother tongue or equivalent is required.
The CHRIS-2D project will be implemented within the Cooperative Health Research in South Tyrol (CHRIS) study, one of the largest longitudinal population-based studies in Italy, which investigates the health of >13,000 participants through a large set of clinical, genetic, and molecular data. By setting up a data portal that provides navigation through CHRIS data and samples in a secure and controlled way that protects participant's rights, the CHRIS-2D project aims at enhancing the quality, integration and usability of the datasets, boosting the potential for innovative scientific research and exploitation of the study.
The successful candidate will work on the social implications (ELSI) of the data portal and engage with the local community. The candidate needs to be familiar with empirical methods (qualitative and possibly quantitative). The work will be performed within a team of ELSI experts. She/he will contribute to the ethical and legal framework ensuring that community preferences and specific needs are brought into the development.
- Perform qualitative/quantitative fieldwork to ascertain the community perceptions and preferences for the portal
- Assist in collecting information, creating written content, editing texts for the policies
- Master degree in social sciences, political sciences, anthropology or equivalent
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative empirical research methods
- Interest in ethical, legal and social implication of biomedical research
- Fluent in German (required), knowledge of the South Tyrolean German is a plus. Fluent in English (required). Good knowledge of Italian (preferrable, but not mandatory)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Very good organizational skills and strong ability to work independently
- A strong team-player willing to lend help to ad-hoc tasks at short notice
- One year full-time position with the possibility of renewal
- A vibrant and collaborative work environment in an interdisciplinary team of software developers and computer scientists, bioinformaticians and biostatisticians, data curators and data analysts, genetic epidemiologists, and ethical and legal experts
- An employer that is consistently rated among the best work places in Italy
- Attractive living conditions and a high quality of life, right at the heart of one of the most exciting mountain regions in the World
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application (CV, cover letter and further relevant documents) by 31.05.2021 to the following address email@example.com stating "ELSI Junior Researcher CHRIS-2D" and their name as subject:
Institute for Biomedicine
Via Galvani 31 – 39100 Bolzano
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org -- www.eurac.edu
Tel: +39 0471 055 500 / Fax: + 39 0471 055 599
For further information please contact Hagen Blankenburg: email@example.com
The CHRIS-2D project is funded by the European Regional Development Fund, program „EFRE 2014-2020", project ID FESR1157. CUP: D54I20001390008.
Please add the following consent if it is of interest to you: "I hereby explicitly authorize Eurac Research to store my personal data for the purpose of being contacted for potential future job openings".