Mobility is essential for the economic and social development of the European countries. At the same time, it is cause of several externalities (including local and global air pollution, noise, congestion and accidents). The macro-theme SUSTAINABLE MOBILITY deals with alpine and transalpine transport, by analyzing its environmental strengths and weaknesses and by proposing concrete solutions towards more sustainable approaches.
The participation in several projects that span from the European to the local levels grants a multi-level vision of the issues and approaches necessary to address them adequately. The firm collaboration with alpine and European research centers, universities, policy makers and transport stakeholders allows a multidisciplinary approach.
- Analysis of policies, measures and projects that foster freight and passenger sustainable mobility;
- Monitoring at the transalpine level of indicators related to mobility, environment and economy;
- Quantification and economic valuation of transport externalities;
- Development of projects that encourage the modal shift towards rail;
- Integration of mobility with other disciplines in order to understand complex dynamics of territorial development