Understanding Globalization: Doing Global Gender
3rd Globalization Conference "Doing Global Gender: Perspectives on Gender and Re-Globalization" with international experts such as Judith Butler, Oyeronke Oyewumi, Ina Praetorius, Corey Wrenn and many more.
- Date: 02-06.05.2022
- Place: on Zoom & on-site
- Typology: Hybrid webinar series
“Doing Gender” in its re-globalizing dimension means creating a common discourse by contesting gender roles and developing an intertwined view between gender and global economies, societies, and ideologies in flux. International and private power relations need to be questioned to create equal, fair, and inclusive societies. Revisiting conceptions of femininity and masculinity are fundamental in shaping our understanding of gender beyond a binary male-female dimension.
The conference “Doing Global Gender: Perspectives on Gender and Re-Globalization”, organized by the Center for Advanced Studies of Eurac Research, intends to provide a platform in which gender topics are discussed with international experts, such as Judith Butler, Oyeronke Oyewumi, Ina Praetorius, Corey Wrenn and many more. The possible implications for the local level in South Tyrol are analyzed through a “glocal” lens.
You can find the programme for all five days on our website: globalization-conference.eurac.edu
Confirmed keynote speakers are:
- Joanita Babirye, Climate Justice Advocate and Co-founder Girls for Climate Action, Uganda
- Roland Benedikter, Co-Head of the Center for Advanced Studies, Eurac Research
- Jane Bennett, Professor in African Feminist Studies, University of Cape Town and Deputy-Dean (Staffing), Faculty of Humanities, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Armin Bernhard, Researcher and Lecturer at the Free University of Bolzano, Co-founder of the Obervinschgau Citizens’ Association (BGO)
- Roberta Bottarin, Vice-Director of Eurac Research
- Judith Butler, Maxine Elliot Professor at the Department of Comparative Literature and the Program of Critical Theory at the University of California, Berkeley, USA
- Arianna Miriam Fiumefreddo, President of the LGBTI+ Association Arcigay Südtirol Centaurus
- Christoph May, Founder of the Detox Masculinity Institute, Researcher and Consultant, Germany
- Margaret McLaren, Professor of Philosophy and Sexuality, Women’s and Gender Studies, George D. and Harriet W. Cornell Endowed Chair, Rollins College, USA
- Amy Oyekunle, Lead Consultant at Monii Development Consult and Gender and Development Activist, Nigeria
- Oyeronke Oyewumi, Professor of Sociology, Africana and Gender Studies at Stony Brook University, Nigeria/USA
- Barbara Plagg, Postdoctoral researcher at the Institute of General Practice and Public Health, lecturer at the Free University of Bolzano and founder of Südtirols Sisters (SUSI)
- Ina Praetorius, Postpatriarchal Ethicist and Writer, Germany/Switzerland
- Sarah Trevisiol, Director of the Women’s Museum in Meran
- Julia Unterberger, Senator of the Italian Republic
- Corey Wrenn, Lecturer of Sociology and Co-Director of the Centre for the Study of Social and Political Movements at the University of Kent, UK
Our international conference in 2022 will be held as a hybrid webinar series with online lectures and on-site panel discussions. From May 2nd to May 6th, 2022, two panel discussions and three lunch-time webinars will be organized to look at Re-Globalization from a gender perspective – and vice versa.
Participation is free of charge and open to everyone.
Center for Advanced Studies
Drususallee 1 / Viale Druso 1
39100 Bozen / Bolzano
T +39 0471 055 801
Other News & Events
Lebenswelt darf nicht zur Destination instrumentalisiert werden
Die Hoteliers- und Gastwirtejugend und Forscherinnen und Forscher des Center for Advanced Studies luden zur Fachtagung „Transformation Tourismus Südtirol“
„Ungewissheit ist der Motor unserer Intelligenz“
Gerd Gigerenzer, Psychologe und Verhaltensforscher zu Gast bei vigilius sensus – Diskussionsrunde über Risiken und wie wir ihnen begegnen sollten
Mut und Gemeinschaft für gesellschaftliche und touristische Innovation im Vinschgau
Orte neu denken in Schluderns und Stilfs
Voller Saal im NOI Techpark anlässlich der Tagung „Philosophie der Zukunft – Zukunft der Philosophie“
Sexten Fireside Talks: Tourism industry must take social responsibility
Eurac Research, Sexten Kultur, and the Sexten Tourist Association bring affordable housing and the social responsibility of tourism to the forefront of the Sexten Fireside Talks