Institute for Earth Observation - Projects - ECOPOTENTIAL
Improving future ecosystem benefits through earth observations
- Project duration: -
- Project status: finished
Project funded by
ECOPOTENTIAL is a four-year Horizon 2020 project funded by the EU. The project consortium comprises 47 European and international partners spanning research institutes, universities, national and European space agencies, international bodies and SME’s. The main objective of ECOPOTENTIAL is to make Earth Observation (EO) and monitoring data usable for ecosystem modelling and services. The main expected outcomes are to:
- use EO and in situ environmental monitoring data to characterise the current stage and the ongoing and expected changes in biodiversity, ecosystem functions, processes and services
- develop data access systems and virtual laboratories to harmonize data and to create an Ecosystem Data Service related to the Copernicus space component
- provide a full picture of the state and temporal evolution of ecosystems in internationally recognised protected areas
- address cross-scale ecological interactions and landscape-ecosystem dynamics
- define the needs of future protected areas and improve evidence-based environmental policy making
- develop capacity building at all levels through training courses and user take up of EO and monitoring data services and ecosystem models
- make all data and model results available on common and open platforms coherent with the Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS) data sharing principles
EURAC is involved in two work packages related to EO Data and Processes Infrastructure as well as EO Data Generation and Harmonization. EURAC provides environmental parameters and contribute to the design, development and validation of a pre-operational multi-modular system named EO Data for Ecosystem Monitoring (EODESM) that allows to map and assess the current state and past changes in ecosystems.
Contact person: Ruth Sonnenschein
Lucas MR, German S, Metternicht G, Schmidt RK, Owers C, Prober SM, Richards A, Tetreault-Campbell S, Williams KJ, Mueller N, Tissot B, Chua S, Cowoods A, Hills T, Gunawardana D, McIntyre A, Chognard S, Hurford C, Planque C, Punalekar S, Clewley D, Sonnenschein R, Murray N, Manakos I, Blonda P, Owers K, Roxburgh S, Kay H, Bunting P, Horton C (2022)
Global Change Biology
More information: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.16346
Torresani, M, Rocchini, D, Zebisch, M, Sonnenschein, R, Tonon, G (2018)
Torresani M, Rocchini D, Zebisch M, Sonnenschein R, Tonon G (2017)
Conference: RSPSoc2017 Annual Conference| Earth & Planets: Making the most of our observations | London : 5.9.2017 - 8.9.2017
Pettorelli N, Schulte to Buhne H, Tulloch A, Dubois G, Macinnis-Ng C, Queiros AM, Keith DA, Wegmann M, Schrodt F, Stellmes M, Sonnenschein R, Geller GN, Roy S, Somers B, Murray N, Bland L, Geijzendorffer I, Kerr JT, Broszeit S, Leitao PJ, Duncan C, El Serafy G, He KS, Blanchard JL, Lucas R, Mairota P, Webb TJ, Nicholson E (2017)
Remote Sensing in Ecology and Conservation
More information: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/rse2.59/full
Remelgado R, Leutner B, Safi K, Sonnenschein R, Kuebert C, Wegmann M (2017)
Remote Sensing in Ecology and Conservation
More information: https://zslpublications.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10. ...
Gedon L, Sonnenschein R, Walz A (2017)
Conference: 6th Symposium for Research in Protected Areas | Salzburg | 2.11.2017 - 3.11.2017
SCALING ΑGRICULTURAL SENSOR DATA for an improved monitoring of agri-environmental conditionsDuration: - Funding: Horizon Europe (EU funding / ...
BirdWatch - a Copernicus-based service for the improvement of habitat suitability of farmland birds ...Duration: - Funding: Horizon Europe (EU funding / ...
Open-Earth-Monitor CyberinfrastructureDuration: - Funding: Horizon Europe (EU funding / ...
An interdisciplinary Digital Twin Engine for ScienceDuration: - Funding: Horizon Europe (EU funding / ...
Snow CCI+ Phase 2
CCI+ Phase 2 - New ECVs / Snow (ESA Climate Change Initiative on the essential climate variable ...Duration: - Funding: ESA (International organisations ...
Multi-frequency SAR applications to the cryosphereDuration: - Funding: ASI (National funding /Project)