Human - Environmental Interactions
Human-environmental interactions can be defined as interactions between the human social system and the ecosystem. These interactions show how humans adapt to their changing environment.
Human environmental interactions are the interrelations and complex dynamics that exist between human beings and the natural environment. Driven by various political, social, and cultural processes, human activities such as landscape fragmentation strongly modify natural environments in order to fit societal needs with mountains, fragile and marginal areas being particularly affected. This development endangers ecosystems existentially and directly impacts human well-being. At the same time, these changes can lead to conflicts between different interest groups. It is the objective of this trans-disciplinary research group to study and devise sustainable and implementable solutions for viable interaction between human and environment.
- Improvement of ecological connections between habitats and wildlife
- Enhancement of the human wildlife coexistence through participatory approaches
- Landscape and spatial planning
- Mountain community enrichment
- Slow and sustainable tourism and mobility
- Attitudes and behaviour towards nature
- Capacity building of protected area management
- Raising awareness and knowledge-exchange about nature and wildlife
- Dolomites UNESCO Foundation
- Autonomous Province of Bolzano (“Regulation of Equipped Ski Areas” Committee)
- Alpine Convention (Alpine Biodiversity Board, the Wildlife & Society Platform, Spatial Planning and Sustainable Development Working Group, RSA9 thematic Working Group)
- Carpathians Convention (Biodiversity Working Group)
News & Events
Are you satisfied with the quality of life in the Alps?
A survey aims to research quality of life in the Alps
How to behave if you encounter a wolf?
Improving the coexistence of wolves and humans through a participatory approach is the challenge and the main objective of the LIFE WOLFALPS EU project. Here is some information and good behaviour ...
Kick off meeting del progetto INTERREG Central Europe HUMANITA
Il progetto esplora le interazioni tra essere umano e natura e l'impatto delle attività turistiche nelle aree protette
Atlas of ecological connectivity
The Atlas identifies the main areas for ecological networking between the Alps and Dinaric Mountains
What does the future hold for snow tourism destinations at low altitudes?
Eurac Research is leading a three-year European research project to support tourism areas in the Alpine region.
Alpine Space PlanToConnect project kick-off meeting
On January 30th-31st 2023, the institute for Regional Development will take part in the kick-off meeting of the Alpine Space project "PlanToConnect" in Ljubljana
Research Group Projects
Mainstreaming ecological connectivity in spatial planning systems of the Alpine SpaceDuration: - Funding: Alpine Space 2021-2027 (EUTC / EU ...
Enhancing the Resilience of Alpine Space Snow Tourism Destinations and Communities to Climate ChangeDuration: - Funding: Alpine Space 2021-2027 (EUTC / EU ...
LIFE WOLFALPS EU
Coordinated actions to improve wolf - human coexistence at the alpine population levelDuration: - Funding: 2014 - 2020 (Life+ /EU funding ...
Improving livestock protection for the direct benefit of wolf conservation in the German-speaking ...Duration: - Funding: 2014 - 2020 (Life+ /EU funding ...
Climate Change Adaptation Strategy South TyrolDuration: - Funding: Other Province BZ funding (Province ...