Monitoring key environmental parameters in the alpine environment involving science, technology and application
- Project duration: August 2013 - December 2016
- Project status: finished
- Funding: Provincial P.-L.P. 14. Innovation projects (Province BZ funding /Project)
In the Alps, economic activities, such as agriculture, are strongly influenced by the particular environmental conditions of a mountainous area. For an effective management of such activities a precise and systematic comprehension of the environmental processes on all scales is essential.
The main goal of MONALISA is therefore the development of multi-scale monitoring approaches for key environmental parameters and processes with the help of innovative monitoring technologies in the application field of agriculture.
From a scientific point of view, MONALISA will focus on the question how to improve the understanding of key environmental processes by innovative monitoring technologies.
From an application point of view, approaches and results will help to improve management activities in agriculture and will also be transferred to other fields of application like forestry, energy or environment.
As key environmental parameters in the field of agriculture we define parameters which are
- determining growing and ripening conditions, such as temperature, precipitation, radiation, soil moisture or carbon content
- describing the status of vegetation like biomass accumulation (yield), Leaf Area Index, Phenological status or the degree of ripeness of fruits
Monitoring of key environmental parameters in MONALISA will follow the whole production chain of agriculture including the
- general environmental conditions and processes relevant for agriculture (Pillar 2)
- concrete conditions and production processes in the pre-harvest environment (including monitoring and optimisation of management) (Pillar 3)
- quality of the final products (in particular apples) as a function of pre- and post-harvest conditions (Pillar 4)
Multi-scale monitoring in the context of MONALISA means to work in scales from several 1000 km² (full Province of Bolzano) down to the scale of mm² (e.g. a surface of a single apple).
Innovative monitoring technologies in the framework or MONALISA means to
- apply non-destructive multi-sensor approaches combining imagine techniques like multispectral, RADAR, and LIDAR with single-point measurement for key environmental parameters. Of particular interest will be a combination of high-precision sensors with low-cost sensors
- develop a data framework for managing complex multi-dimensional and heterogeneous environmental data including a data ontology, a metadata concept, a data base and a data dissemination platform
- provide a high-performance software and hardware framework for image and data processing as well as for environmental simulation and modelling.
The development of innovative monitoring technologies, which is an important backbone of MONALISA and will link many of the MONALISA activities, is performed in Pillar 5. Activities of MONALISA will pave the road for planned activities on Alpine Monitoring within the new Technology Park.
Pillar 6 is dedicated to integrate industry, local companies and manufactures into the activities of MONALISA. The profit of this integration is twofold:
- the project can profit from the technological know-how of companies in the field of sensors, data management or environmental parameters
- the companies can profit from the methodologies which are developed in the framework of MONALISA (knowledge and technology transfer) even beyond the scope of MONALISA (e.g. for monitoring technologies in the wood industry and other branches).
Potential users from public and private institutions will be involved from the beginning for the selection and evaluation of the environmental and quality parameters (Pillar 7).
Dubbini M, Tomelleri E, Gattelli M, Mejia-Aguilar A (2017)
Conference: SOCIETÀ ITALIANA DI FOTOGRAMMETRIA E TOPOGRAFIA - 62° CONVEGNO NAZIONALE | Ragusa | 21.6.2017 - 23.6.2017
More information: https://www.asita.it/62-convegno-nazionale-sifet-21-23-giugn ...
E. Tomelleri, A. Mac Arthur, M. Chilinski, J. Chormanski, P. D’Odorico, M. Dubbini, M. Gattelli, C. George, A. Harris, A. Mejia Aguilar, E. S. Köksal, F. Veroustraete (2016)
Conference: ESR Think Tank| Best practice UAV spectral sampling | Tartu : 22.11.2016 - 24.11.2016
More information: https://optimise.dcs.aber.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Newslette ...
Tomelleri E, Mejia Aguilar A, Castelli M, Thiebes B, Schlögel R, Franceschi S (2016)
Conference: Droni e professioni tradizionali viste nell'ottica del domani | Michele all'Adige (TN) - ITALY | 27.5.2016 - 27.5.2016
More information: https://www.fmach.it/CIF/Il-Centro/Eventi/Droni-e-profession ...
Tomelleri E, Aasen H, Mejia Aguilar A, Monsorno R (2016)
Conference: EUFAR| Expert Workshop on Hyperspectral Imaging from UAVs – Applications in Precision Farming | Milan, Italy : 14.12.2016 - 14.12.2016
Mejia-Aguilar A (2016)
Conference: EGU General Assembly 2016 | Vienna | 17.4.2016 - 22.4.2016
Research Centre for Agriculture and Forestry
TIS innovation park
Enrico TomelleriTeam Member
Stefano Della ChiesaTeam Member
Sarah AsamTeam Member
Sebastian GeidelTeam Member
Emanuele CordanoTeam Member
Transboundary Storm Risk and Impact Assessment in Alpine regionsDuration: December 2020 - May 2022Funding: Other EU Funding (EU funding / ...
European Topic Centre on Climate change Adaptation and LULUCFDuration: December 2021 - May 2022Funding: Public institutions (Other projects ...
Snow CCI+ Phase 2
CCI+ Phase 2 - New ECVs / Snow (ESA Climate Change Initiative on the essential climate variable ...Duration: January 2022 - May 2022Funding: ESA (International organisations ...
Facilitating the next generation of effective and intelligent water-related policies utilising ...Duration: August 2021 - May 2022Funding: Societal Challenge (Horizon 2020 ...
Alpine Drought ObservatoryDuration: September 2019 - May 2022Funding: Alpine Space 2014-2020 (EUTC /EU ...
R4openEO - Integrating R Analytics with openEO PlatformsDuration: September 2021 - May 2022Funding: Other EU Funding (EU funding / ...
Definition of the Climate Adaptation Plan for Marche regionDuration: September 2021 - May 2022Funding: Private organisations (Other ...
Multi-frequency SAR applications to the cryosphereDuration: July 2021 - May 2022Funding: ASI (National funding /Project)